Friday, January 31, 2020

My Irish Mom and My Book

My Book: The Brown and White
My mother had been born in Scotland of Irish parents who had left Ireland with their families (Donegal and Dublin) to seek work in the shipbuilding area of Scotland around Glasgow (Clyde Bank). Mom's parents died and then she moved to the United States as a child to be raised by her brother. She came over just about the time of the Great Depression. I am not sure if life would have been easier in Clyde Bank or Chicago where she settled, but when WWII came about, mom's relatives in Clyde Bank had to survive the Blitz. 

Mom lived to be almost 100 years old and she was never an old lady. Life with mom was an experience. In fact my early life was such an experience that I wrote about it.  My book, The Brown and White, is my best effort to retell some of those experiences, but it was set up as a work of fiction. It was also written over several decades.  It speaks of Chicago city life in the late 1960s and living through a lot of change--but always around family, friends, and good humor. 

Mom passed away two years ago and I wanted to write this small piece to mention the The Brown and White.  


No comments:

Post a Comment