Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Look of the Irish, Why not?


I think when you get older you tend to look at things through a kind of lense that opens up to what you value and love.  Maybe you've learned a few things as well and you appreciate what they call diversity today. But diversity is a much overused word. I think I tend to see people as not so much "diverse" or different from me, but really more similar although they are different. Some will think I am just fooling myself and don't get it, and maybe they are right. But in the past week when puzzling on things, I have said "I am not that bright" so I am going to keep to the simple notion that I am delivering here. 

The photo above is my grandson Ciaran. 

I have one of those blended families, so I have three grandchildren and I love them all. Of course, when you are a step-grandfather, like I am for two of my grandchildren, you want to make sure you don't step on anyone's toes and take credit for things maybe you shouldn't.  One of my step grandchildren, Jacob Liam,  lived with us for a year and he visits for a few days at a time now.  His long stay left an emotional impression on me that I can't really explain (remember I said that I am not that bright so I don't have to). But let me get back to Ciaran. 

As you can see by the photo, there is something soulful and poetic about Ciaran. And like his name, he speaks Irish to me. And by that I mean that he exudes grace and a sacred message for me that I interpret with an Irish heart. And for me, a sacred message is an Irish message because that's how I was raised.  As a young boy, I looked over at my Irish dad in church and saw him praying his rosary and Ciaran reminds me of my dad and his faith. The image of my father praying says everything to me



Cairan  is beautiful and I would not want to change a thing on him. He is my daughter's son and she is a beautiful woman with a lot of Irish.  But I have to be honest, Ciaran takes after his dad. And I don't think his dad is Irish at all--though he is an artistic and soulful man. But I have come to appreciate diversity as I have said. And yet, Ciaran looks Irish, because I am Irish and I love him and I see everything with Irish eyes, because I have two of those. 
***********************

My Irish Catholic book is called The Brown and White

No comments:

Post a Comment