Friday, August 19, 2011

Feeling a Little Blue in the Pew


I was in church a while back just saying a few Hail Marys before Mass. I was feeling like I sometimes do, a little sad and out of place at weekday Mass with all the saintly people who attend. I feel a little unworthy at times.

After a few prayers I sat down and looked around. The walls of the church had a line of construction paper sheets running on both sides of the church displaying the artwork of the kids who were receiving their First Communion. Much of it was very nice -- images of the host, chalices, bread, burst of light, and dozens of little phrases and prayers. Each of the renderings expressed the Sacrament or perhaps the Communicant's new relationship with God in some way. A small breeze was somehow running through our church--every few seconds. There are no windows--so it must have been either through the vestibule in back or perhaps an air conditioning vent. Any way, you could see the sheets moving ever so slightly as the breeze would come in and then die down. One sheet was flapping about quite vigorously however directly on my left, perhaps one of the closest sheets to my location in the pew.

Of course being Irish and always open to supernatural communications, I kept glancing over at the one sheet that was practically flying off the wall. I thought the good Lord, knowing that I am not a subtle person, was going to make sure that I got His message loud and clear. I inched over a bit so I could read the message on the sheet. In a child's handwriting, the message stated simply: "God Loves You."

As I got to my feet for the Priest's entrance, I stopped worrying about being out of place and just concerned myself with loving Him back.


No comments:

Post a Comment