Friday, March 11, 2011

Choose Life


I have been thinking a lot lately about my favorite teacher, the late Sister Faith Schuster pictured here. She was one of the most positive people I ever knew and although she knew suffering, pain, and tragedy--she always saw them in the context of faith, beauty and love. She never veered from that track.

I am most impressed by people who smile through life and remain positive. They are able to focus on the good and somehow see God's hand in everything. Sometimes the world seems so off-track, but those like Sister Faith can smell the flowers and smile in the sunshine regardless. Life is messy and it always will be, but it seems clear that God does not want us to walk around depressed.

Sister Faith had simple wisdom in a complex time.

This week I was privileged to make mass and this quote from Deuteronomy Chapter 30: 19-20 jumped out at me:

Choose life, then, that you and your descendants may live, by loving the LORD, your God, heeding his voice, and holding fast to him.



Photo of Sister Faith is from the Benedictine Sisters of Mount Saint Scholastica home page.

No comments:

Post a Comment