Sunday, September 12, 2010

Grandfather and the Start of the Day



This photo is one of my grandfather at the start of his day a long time ago before trucks. He started his own business and delivered ice, vegetables and eventually furniture. Later on, he worked for the union. He lived through World War I, Prohibition, the Great Depression, and World War II. He died in the age of Interstates and airplanes.

I know my grandfather knew desperate times and I am sorry that I never got a chance to meet him because he died a few years before my birth. But I know my grandfather and grandmother were religious people and no doubt were raised on stories of Saint Patrick.

I like the desperation in Saint Patrick's prayer and have posted it on this blog before. I have become a greater admirer of Saint Patrick as I grow older. See my previous posting on him for a bit of his prayer and my thoughts about him.

In addition to Saint Patrick's prayer, I thought of a short saying that I found inspiring. If you are looking for a way to center yourself at the beginning of the day, the quote below is helpful-- it is a prayer/saying from an anonymous source that makes a lot of sense:

This is the beginning of a new day. God has given me this day to use as I will. I can waste it or use it for good, but what I do today is important, because I am exchanging a day of my life for it. When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever, leaving in its place something that I have traded for it. I want it to be gain, and not loss; good, and not evil; success, and not failure; in order that I shall not regret the price I have paid for it.

My thanks to Paul H. for helping me recover this one--long ago seen pasted on his dad's mirror. I do not know the actual source for this, but Paul thought it may have an Alcoholics Anonymous connections although his dad was not a member. If anyone knows the source, please let me know and I will post it.

No comments:

Post a Comment