Saturday, March 6, 2010

Saint Patrick's Breastplate

I love Saint Patrick's Breastplate because it is a dramatic, kind of desperate prayer to match the life of the great Saint. The famous prayer commonly called Saint Patrick’s Breastplate, traditionally attributed to him, is beautiful, yet simply written. The prayer does not appear in Patrick’s meager writings, but it has been handed down over the centuries and can be found in many different variations today. It speaks for those of us today who see and seek divine strength and intervention in daily life. A small part of the prayer follows:

I arise today
Through the strength of heaven:
Light of sun
Brilliance of moon
Splendor of fire
Speed of lightning
Swiftness of wind
Depth of sea
Stability of earth
Firmness of rock.
I arise today
Through God’s strength to pilot me:
God’s might to uphold me,
God’s wisdom to guide me
God’s eye to look before me,
God’s ear to hear me,
God’s word to speak for me,
God’s hand to guard me,
God’s way to lie before me,
God’s host to secure me
against snares of devils
against temptations of vices
against inclinations of nature
against everyone who shall wish me ill,
afar and anear,
alone and in a crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment