Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Frank McCourt

I suppose there are thousands or blogs discussing Frank McCourt's work, his life and his death. I've only read his books and for me it's interesting to read what others say who knew him personally, especially as a teacher. Andrew Greeley spoke about how Irish Catholics tell such great stories and that was what made them who they are. If you read Teacher Man, you know that McCourt was an English teacher who had a tough time reaching students at his first school in a tough area whose students were bound for the trades and saw limited value in his subject. McCourt survived by telling his students stories and they couldn't get enough of them. "Hey teach, tell us another story." But at the same time, McCourt wondered if he was really any good at teaching. I don't think this was false modesty, I think McCourt's sense of himself was something he struggled with and he shared this with readers throughout Angela's Ashes.

I have heard that McCourt separated himself from the Catholic faith. But I hope he was a Catholic when he died. One thing about Irish Catholics is that as bad as some may be at being Catholic, they are often heartbroken without the faith and the church is much less without them. They might put up a good front, but they are not right without having the connection to the faith. I am not saying that may not be the case for other faiths, I'm just saying for most Catholics you carry the loss around with you whether you acknowledge it or not.

McCourt is quoted as saying that he wanted no funeral service whatsoever and that he just wants his ashes tossed into the Shannon. I'd like to tell Frank, that he doesn't go away at all with the ashes. He is still with us in many ways and I pray that his soul is in a better place as well.

When I read Angela's Ashes, I read a few chapters at a time and after each reading, I would hug my children a little harder than before and love them deeper. As wretched as the episodes in McCourt's book, they gave me a greater sense of life's worth not a lesser sense. God's grace is in those who overcome all their miserable experiences. If it takes some until they are 50 or 60 years old to do it, so be it. God is more patient with us than we are with ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment